The following is a list of questions for Plastic Surgery PS consultations. Thank you to Shari, Lisa E. and Erin for most of them.
- Experience with patients who have lost a lot of weight or post-WLS?
- What procedure/s would be be suggested, and why?
- What would the trade offs be?
- If multiple procedures are suggested, what would be the priority, and what combinations or sequence would be suggested?
- What size breasts? Based on what?
- Pre-op mammogram?
- Could I see before and after portfolio, and what results would mine most likely resemble?
- What can I expect for final results?
- How long before I see final results?
- What scarring can I expect, from where to where?
- Explain and draw out exactly what is being cut.
- Anchor cut or hip-to-hip cut (why?)
- What degree of muscle work will there be?
- What are possible complications?
- How long will I be under anaesthetic?
- How long will I be in hospital?
- How long until I can travel home?
- How long should I book off work?
- What kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What pain medications will be suggested/prescribed?
- How long and what exercises can I start doing and when?
- After care, short and long term. Length of stay in hospital, in a hotel, at home with or without nursing care. What do other out-of-town patients do?
- Are there any follow up resources such as a home health nurse?
- Hospital or private clinic? Which procedures?
Time frame and expense:
- Once I agree to go ahead, what is the waiting time?
- All costs and what is included or when can I expect a written estimate?
- Costs if a revision was necessary?
- Can anything be covered by MSP?
- Will the estimate cover all costs, or should I budget for other expenses? Lodging for outpatient period, supportive garments, prescriptions etc.
- What is “skin loss”? It is a possible complication listed in the brochures that I do not understand.