You asked; What is the "normal" rate for weight loss post-operatively after RNY?
Wow!! we all wish that there was a "normal" that we could say is the bench mark for people to use as they lose weight. Unfortunately there is no such animal. We're all so uniquely different that it's almost impossible to predict.
For example, here are some of the factors that contribute:
• Amount of exercise or activity
• Your rate of metabolism
• Amount of food intake
• How well you stick to the rules
These are only a few of the general contributing factors that make a difference.
There are however some general observations most of us have noticed. They are:
• RNY patients generally lose fairly rapidly during the 1st few months ...anywhere from 3 to 8 lbs a week
• The 1st year is the honeymoon period and usually results in continuous weight loss up to that time
• There will be plateaus, usually not longer than 2 weeks
• After the 1st year, patients can gain weight if they have not made the necessary behaviour changes.